In 2013 the Natural Resources Department began the process of renovating the Brant Point Shellfish Hatchery. The goal of the renovation is to provide a year round climate controlled facility that is a world class shellfish hatchery inside of a historic structure.
The Brant Point Shellfish Hatchery is located next to the historic Brant Point Lighthouse and was originally a boathouse used by the U.S. Coast Guard in the early 1900's. Since the 1980's the U.S. Coast Guard has allowed the Town of Nantucket use this facility for the purposes of shellfish propagation. In 2012 the Town of Nantucket was deeded the building from the U.S. Coast Guard and began the process to upgrade and update the facility.