Town Government Study Committee
The responsibilities of each Town Government Study Committee are to review the structure of Town Government, including the Town Charter and any applicable special acts and bylaws relating to governmental structure, and make recommendations to the Town Meeting concerning amendments to the Charter, or such special acts and bylaws, or other recommendations it deems advisable.
Agendas & Minutes
- John B. Brescher, Chair
- Rick Atherton
- Curtis Barnes
- Kristie Flaherty Ferrantella
- Tucker Holland
- Campbell Sutton
- Linda Williams
List of topics the Town Government Study Committee has reviewed and their status
- Examine our current Form of Government and compare to Representative Town Meeting, Mayoral, or City Council. Investigate adding two independent members to the Audit Committee.
- Develop an Organization Chart with a clear explanation of responsibilities to Town Admin and Select Board.
- Examine better ways to strengthen code enforcement and coordinate with Town Counsel.
- Determine if the planning board alternatives should be elected or appointed.
- Determine if the Town should move to remove Historic District Commission appeals from the purview of Select Board.
- Investigate and determine a clear separation of powers and responsibilities for Select Board and the Town Manager.
- Investigate creating a licensing commission, parking commission, and sewer commission.
- Review how the Town could work to integrate the Wannacomet and Airport operations with Town.
- Review role and charter provisions for the Park and Recreation Commission.
- Review the role and future term requirements for the Town Government Study Committee.
These are out of the Town Government Study Committee purview:
- Review committee mission statements on a regular basis.
- Review the process for making appointments to boards/commission.
- Maintain a list of interested citizen volunteers for appointments to Boards and Commissions.
- Determine if the Town should hire a grant writer.
- Utilize professional representative to seek state and federal funding.
- Coordinate and clarify the permitting process for building, planning, Historic District Commission, licenses, etc.
- Investigate other towns’ standards for eminent domain takings.