Coastal Resilience Library
- 310 CMR: Department of Environmental Protection, Wetland Protection Act. 2014
Description: Regulations for All Wetlands, Additional Regulations for Coastal Wetlands, Additional Regulations for Inland Wetlands, Appendices: Prefaces to Previous Regulatory Revisions
- Accommodating climate change contingencies in conservation strategy. 2013
Description: Scientific discussion that looks at how species may be sensitive, susceptible, resilience and/or resistant to climate change. This paper also develops a model to gauge show species may deal with climate change.
- A Community Resource Guide for Planning Living Shorelines Projects. New Jersey Resilient Coastlines Initiative. 2016
Description: Living shoreline and green infrastructure methods.
- Beach Nourishment. MassDEP’s Guide to Best Management Practices for Projects in Massachusetts. 2007
Description: Methods, strategies and requirements to undertake beach nourishment in Massachusetts.
- Characteristics and Conflicts of Municipal Coastal Resilience in Massachusetts. 2017
Description: A PhD thesis on coastal resilience in Massachusetts for minimalities.
- Climate Change State Profiles Massachusetts. Observed and Projected Changes in Climate and their Impacts.
Description: USGS publication that looks at all aspects of climate including rainfall, snowfall, heat days, cold days, sea level rise through both history and future projections.
- Climate Vulnerability Assessment Coastal Properties Trustees of Reservations. 2017
Description. Site specific report. Focus is on the vulnerability of the Trustees of Reservations property at Coskata and Coatue on Nantucket.
- Coastal Resilience Methods
Description: PDF of a PowerPoint presentation to CRAC on 10-1-19 on Coastal Resilience methods that may be applicable on Nantucket.
- Community Resilience Building Workshop Summary of Findings Town of Nantucket Final Report, April 2019
Description: Municipal Vulnerability Preparedness (MVP). Nantucket’s MVP.
- Empowering Coastal Communities to Prepare for and Respond to Sea Level Rise and Storm-related Inundation: A Pilot Project for Nantucket Island. 2016
Description: Nantucket specific analysis by Mark Borrelli. Shows the most susceptible areas to flooding, and under specific storm tide conditions.
- Managing biodiversity under climate change: challenges, frameworks, and tools for adaptation. 2017
Description: Scientific review paper outlining issues and develops a toolkit for communities to adapt to climate change. Aimed at species and biodiversity adaption, not necessarily for communities adaption. This could be used for species that Nantucket depends on such as Scallops and Striped bass, and for the key habitats and protected habitats on Island.
- Massachusetts Climate Change Adaptation Report September 2011
Description: From the Global Warming Act 2008. This document outlines climate change and it impacts on Massachusetts. It also described the response in terms of (1) Natural resources and habitats, (2) Key infrastructure, (3) Human health and welfare (4) Local economy and government and (5) Coastal zones and oceans.
- Massachusetts Climate Change Projections
Description: Comprehensive document that uses observed change to model projected change to the end of the century.
- Nantucket, MA Coastal Management Plan. Town Of Nantucket 2014
Description: Overall and site by site management plan for named areas.
- Nantucket & Madaket Harbors Action Plan. The Nantucket and Madaket Harbors Plan Review Committee & the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources Town of Nantucket, Massachusetts. 2009
Description: A plan to manage Nantucket and Madaket harbors.
- Report of the Committee on Long Pond and Madaket Ditch
Description: A report written in 1882 and covers the history of dredging and maintenance of the Madaket ditch area from 1621 to 1880’s.
- Resilience planning, departments and resources on Nantucket. 2019
Description: Resilience planning team, departments and resources available and the abbreviated charge of the CRAC on Nantucket.
- Sea Level Rise Strategy. Charleston, South Carolina. 2015
Description: History, outline and plans for Charleston, SC developing a strategy for dealing with sea level rise and other associated clime change issues affecting the municipality.
- Sea Level Rise: Understanding and Applying Trends and Future Scenarios for Analysis and Planning. 2013
Description: Massachusetts data. Specifically mentions that sea levels has risen on Nantucket by 1.15 feet, or (13.8) 14 inches in the 100 years to 2012. Also projects future sea level rise based on multiple carbon emissions sensations.
- Storm Surge & Critical Infrastructure on Nantucket. 2015
Description: A Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) student let research on storm surge on Nantucket. Extremely relevant study and document. A must read for CRAC.
- Town of Nantucket 2007 Open Space and Recreation Plan. Updated 2009
Description: A plan to manage the open spaces on Nantucket.
- Town of Nantucket Massachusetts Recreation & Parks Master Plan June 6, 2019
Description: A plan to manage and maintain the parks and recreation areas on Island.
- Town of Nantucket Master Plan. 2009
Description: A master plan for the Town covering residential areas, Open spaces and Natural Resources, historical landscapes and buildings, economy & tourist base, healthy environment for residents, etc..
- Town of Nantucket Natural Hazard Mitigation Plan. 2019
Description: A complete and comprehensive plan to deal with all of the hazards that the town and island faces including storms, sea level rise, erosion wildfire, earthquakes etc. also specifically says that the town needs a Coastal Resilience Plan.
Description: links to website that have useful information.
Coastal resilience plans from other communities
- City of Lynn Massachusetts. Lynn Coastal Resilience Assessment. July 2016
Description. Lynn, MA. Assessment, before a plan.
Consultants: Weston & Sampson
- City of West Haven Coastal Resilience Plan March 2017
Description. West Haven, CT.
Consultants: Milone & MacBroom, Inc., Black & Veatch Corporation
- Coastal Resilience Solutions for South Boston. October 2018
Description: Boston, MA.
Consultants: Arcadis, Halvorson Design Partnership, CivicMoxie, Woods Hole Group, Noble, Wickersham & Heart LLP, Harriet Tregoning
- Town of Branford Coastal Resilience Plan June 2016
Description: Bradford, CT.
Consultants: Milone & MacBroom, Inc. Dewberry.
- Town of Guilford Community Coastal Resilience Plan Report of Options to Increase Coastal Resilience February 2013
Description: Gilford, CT.
Consultants: Milone & MacBroom, Inc.
- Lower Manhattan Climate Resilience Study March 2019
Description: Manhattan, NY. Included Sea level Rise and Storm Surge with Groundwater level rise, extreme heat, extreme precipitation.
Consultants: AECOM, HR&A Advisors, Bjarke Ingels Group, One Architecture, James Lima Planning + Development
- Town of Stratford Coastal Community Resilience Plan December 2016
Description: Stratford, CT.
Consultants: GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc.