Face Covering in Public
Help to stop the spread! Cases on Nantucket are on the rise. When you are outdoors or when you cannot keep social distance from others: WEAR A MASK.
EMERGENCY ORDER No. 13
Summary: On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 the Board of Health issued an updated island-wide Emergency order for face covering.
- MA Governor Mandatory Order to Wear Face Covering in Public - May 1, 2020
- MA Guidance to Wearing Mask in Public Settings - May 1, 2020
I have received two dosis of the vaccine, now what?
For now, if you’ve been fully vaccinated:
- You should still take steps to protect yourself and others in many situations, like wearing a mask, staying at least 6 feet apart from others, and avoiding crowds and poorly ventilated spaces. Take these precautions whenever you are:
- In public
- Gathering with unvaccinated people from more than one other household
- Visiting with an unvaccinated person who is at increased risk of severe illness or death from COVID-19 or who lives with a person at increased risk
- You should still avoid medium or large-sized gatherings.
- You should still delay domestic and international travel. If you do travel, you’ll still need to follow CDC requirements and recommendations.
- You should still watch out for symptoms of COVID-19, especially if you’ve been around someone who is sick. If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you should get tested and stay home and away from others.
Do I have to wear a mask every time I leave my home?
If you are out in public and social distancing is not possible you need to cover your nose and mouth.
Do I have to wear a medical mask?
No, those should be used only by health care providers, first responders and patients.
The state Department of Public Health says that to comply with the order, "a face covering can include anything that covers your nose and mouth, including dust masks, scarves and bandanas."
Are kids supposed to wear a face covering as well?
The governor’s order applies to anybody over the age of two unless there is a medical condition that makes wearing a mask impossible.
Is there a penalty for not wearing a mask?
The governor’s order specifies a fine of up to $300 per violation and also notes that anyone not wearing a mask can be banned from entering any business in the state. The order includes an exemption for anyone with a medical condition that prevents mask-wearing.
Does this apply to public transportation?
Yes. Under Baker’s order, both the driver and the passenger of any taxi or ride-sharing service are required to wear a face covering.
I am healthy, do I need to wear a mask?
Yes, wearing a mask protects you from inhaling infected droplets from other people and protects other people from you. You may be an asymptomatic carrier of the virus.
Do we still need to practice social distancing if we are wearing masks?
Yes. Even when wearing a mask, you should still try to maintain six feet of space between yourself and other people. Social distancing remains the most effective way to prevent the spread of the disease.
Nantucket Cottage Hospital Recomendaciones sobre el uso de mascarillas de tela, especialmente en las áreas con transmisión comunitaria significativa
This page was last updated on March 11, 2020.