Marriage Intentions

Getting Married on Nantucket (Haga clic aquí para más información sobre la LICENCIA DE MATRIMONIO)

Marriage Intention/License

A marriage license is issued to individuals who are to be married in Massachusetts only. Any couple can apply for a marriage license as long as each person is 18 or older, and currently free to marry.

 Apply for a Marriage License 

To apply for a marriage license, couples must call 508-228-7216 to make an appointment with the Town Clerk’s Office. Both parties must be present to fill out the Marriage Intention form and supplement. We charge a $50 application fee. Payment is by cash or check (payable to Town of Nantucket).  The following information is needed to complete your marriage intention form and supplement:

  • Valid identification (passports, driver’s licenses, state IDs, or military IDs)
  • Your social security number (if you do not have a social security number, you have to write down reason – for example, not a resident of US)
  • Your legal names AND what last name you will use after marriage
  • Your current physical addresses
  • Your dates of birth and where you were born
  • The names of your parents (including maiden names) AND whether or not your parent were married when you were born
  • If you were previously married, we need to know what number marriage this is for you (eg. this will be your 2nd marriage) AND your divorce decree needs to be final.

 Three Day Waiting Period for Marriage License

There is a three day waiting period from when you file your Marriage Intention to when you can pick up your Marriage License. If you do not have three days until the wedding, you may apply to Probate Court for a Marriage Without Delay Waiver. The court will charge you a $195 fee (cash only). The court is located on the 2nd Floor of the Town Building. You will need to complete your Marriage Intention form first and we will give you a request form to present to the court for your waiver.

Picking Up Your Marriage License before your wedding

You must pick up the license before the wedding and give it to the officiant performing your ceremony. The license is only valid for 60 days from the date you applied.

Register Your Marriage after your wedding

The officiant performing your ceremony needs to complete the license and return it to the Town Clerk’s Office.

Getting a Copy of your Marriage Certificate

Allowable Wedding Officiants