Events & Group Gatherings
Under the state updated gatherings order (August 7, 2020), indoor gatherings are limited to eight people per 1,000 square feet, but should not exceed 25 people in a single enclosed, indoor space. Outdoor gatherings in enclosed spaces are limited to 25 percent of the facility’s maximum permitted occupancy, with a maximum of 50 people in a single enclosed outdoor space. You can read the full order here.
State Event Protocols
All Event facilities and vendors must abide by all terms of Safety Standards and Sector protocols issued by the Commonwealth and Town of Nantucket to include but not limited to: Indoor and Outdoor Events Safety Standards; Restaurants Safety Standards; Theater and Performance Venue Safety Standards. These documents provide mandatory standards critical to a safe reopening including social distancing, staffing, operations, cleaning, disinfecting, hygiene protocols, and other safety standards.
All Gatherings (Private and Public) must adhere to occupancy limits. There is no distinction between private property and commercial activity. A catered backyard birthday party is held to the same standards as a licensed facility renting out space for a public gathering. These protocols are about the number of people gathering from different households in one space.
- INDOORS: 8 persons per 1000 sq. ft. of accessible floor space and no more than 25 persons (including servers/staff). A tent/patio with more than 2 sides down and/or less than 50% of the perimeter open and unobstructed by any siding or barriers is considered indoors
- OUTDOORS: 25% of set occupancy if applicable and no more than 50 persons (including servers/staff). Covered Space must have more than 50% of the perimeter open and unobstructed by any form of siding or barriers.
Event activities must follow sector specific protocol. Food service at events must follow restaurant guidance to include but not limited to:
- No standing or self-service food or alcohol. No seating or standing at bars.
- No guests should be standing and drinking, eating or congregating with other parties at any time. Table service only.
- Maximum Six persons per table. Tables spaced to allow a minimum of 6 feet between seated patrons and high foot traffic areas.
- Food service required with on-premise consumption of alcohol.
Live Entertainment must follow Theater and Performance Guidance to include but not limited to:
- INDOORS: No singing or brass/wind instruments. Plays, musical and Live performances not allowed.
- OUTDOORS: 25 feet separation from unmasked performers (singers, brass/wind instruments) and guests. 10 feet separation between performers.
- DANCE FLOORS: No Dance Floors or Dancing allowed – indoors and outdoors. The Bride and Groom may have their first dance together but no other dancing or large congregation of guests allowed.
- PERMITS/LICENSES: Any Live Entertainment for public events and in publically accessed building, restaurants, museums, hotels, etc. must be licensed annually or on a per event basis. Currently, Live Entertainment is restricted to single musicians outdoors only at existing Licensed premises. New requests may be considered on a case by case basis to include a COVID-19 safety plan.
- PRIVATE HOMES: Any Entertainment Live (DJ/Musician or Non-Live (Streaming) at private Home gatherings must follow above guidelines and all Music/Entertainment must end by 10pm per Town Noise Ordinance.
- PERMITS: Building permits apply when the tent (with sides) exceeds 400 square feet and intended for the gathering or when Tent Canopy (without sides) exceeds 700 square feet.
- AIR FLOW: Outdoor table service may be provided under awnings or table umbrellas or other cover provided that at least 50 percent of the perimeter of any covered dining space must always remain open and unobstructed by any form of siding or barriers.
All Public Firework displays have been cancelled for the Summer/Fall 2020. Private Firework Display requests must be reviewed and approved by the Nantucket Fire Department in accordance with State and local Fire Code. Additional review/approvals may be required depending on locations (Harbormaster; Natural Resources, etc.)
Please review the State and Local Face Mask orders with all Staff: https://nantucket-ma.gov/1677/Face-Covering-Orders All guests must wear masks unless seated at table while eating and drinking. Waiting to be seated or getting up to use the restroom require that they put a mask on.
- ALL GATHERINGS: Per the Gatherings Order of August 11, 2020, Masks are required at any gathering – public or private with upwards of 10 people from more than a single household.
The Advisory is issued in response to the ongoing public health crisis related to the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus) and will be strictly enforced by the Select Board and the Town of Nantucket. Failure to adhere to any of the foregoing will result in disciplinary action including, but not limited to, the suspension of any license issued by the Town of Nantucket.
This page was last updated on September 17, 2020.