Town of Nantucket Vaccination Programs
- Employee Vaccination Services: The Town of Nantucket is offering Vaccination assistance for business owners. If you are interested in participating in this program, please email Community Health Clinical Administrator Heather Francis.
- Vaccination at the Saltmarsh Senior Center (81 Washington Street): Every Wednesday, from 5 pm to 7 pm, Town of Nantucket nurses will be offering the vaccine to walk-ins. Limited Pfizer availability, prioritized for minors. Full Johnson and Johnson availability. No appointment or further information required to get the vaccine!
For further questions, you can email Human Services Director Jerico Mele at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other sites offering COVID vaccines on-island
- Dan's Pharmacy: COVID vaccine wait-list open. Currently providing Moderna vaccine. Wait list available on the website, call in requests at (508) 825-9100.
- Health Imperatives: Offering Johnson and Johnson. Call (508-228-9189) or visit www.healthimperatives.org/Nantucket to schedule an appointment.
- ACK Dental Arts: Offering Johnson and Johnson. Visit their website for more information: https://ackdentalart.com/.
COVID-19 Vaccine History
On December 10, 2020, the United States Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) held an advisory committee meeting to discuss authorization of the vaccine. An independent panel voted 17-4 in support of the FDA approving the vaccine. On the same day, Saudi Arabia approved the vaccine, becoming the 4th country to do so. On December 11, 2020, the United States officially became the 5th country to approve use of Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine. The FDA granted Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) and under the United States agreement with Pfizer, Pfizer agreed to an initial distribution of 2.9 million doses on an immediate basis and 100 million doses through March 2021, with the United States providing the vaccine free to the public.
On December 17, 2020 at 7:00 am, the Nantucket Cottage Hospital Emergency Department Physician Assistant Maria Carey became the first person to receive the COVID-19 vaccine at Nantucket Cottage Hospital.