Town of Nantucket Vaccination Programs
- Wednesday,October 13: The Town of Nantucket has paused new applications for 3rd doses until the current backlog is scheduled and administered.
- Nantucket Cottage Hospital Booster Shots: Beginning on October 18th Nantucket Cottage Hospital will be offering booster shots of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine to those who meet the eligibility requirements below. Boosters are by appointment only and can be made online at https://covidvaccine.massgeneralbrigham.org/
- The Town of Nantucket COVID vaccine clinic moves to the 131 Pleasant Street trailer. The clinic will operate on Sundays from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm. Questions regarding the clinic should go to Jerico Mele. No 3rd doses will be given at the walk in clinic.
Other sites offering COVID vaccines on-island
- Dan's Pharmacy: COVID vaccine wait-list open. Currently providing Moderna vaccine. Wait list available on the website, call in requests at (508) 825-9100.
- Health Imperatives: Offering Johnson and Johnson and Pfizer. Call (508-228-9189) or visit www.healthimperatives.org/Nantucket to schedule an appointment.
- ACK Dental Arts: Offering Johnson and Johnson. Visit their website for more information: https://ackdentalart.com/.
COVID-19 Vaccine History
On December 10, 2020, the United States Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) held an advisory committee meeting to discuss authorization of the vaccine. An independent panel voted 17-4 in support of the FDA approving the vaccine. On the same day, Saudi Arabia approved the vaccine, becoming the 4th country to do so. On December 11, 2020, the United States officially became the 5th country to approve use of Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine. The FDA granted Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) and under the United States agreement with Pfizer, Pfizer agreed to an initial distribution of 2.9 million doses on an immediate basis and 100 million doses through March 2021, with the United States providing the vaccine free to the public.
On December 17, 2020 at 7:00 am, the Nantucket Cottage Hospital Emergency Department Physician Assistant Maria Carey became the first person to receive the COVID-19 vaccine at Nantucket Cottage Hospital.