- Departments A-N
- Culture & Tourism
- Visitor Information
- Resources for People with Disabilities
- Transportation on Nantucket
Transportation on Nantucket
Nantucket Regional Transit Authority - nrtaWAVE
The Nantucket Regional Transit Authority (NRTA) Shuttle Service operates their fixed routes from May or June to September or October, depending on the route.
Numerous local and franchised car rental agencies operate on the Island. Please reserve your vehicle early. If you need a vehicle with special controls, please contact the rental agency to make the necessary arrangements. These vehicles must be transported to Nantucket, so please allow at least two weeks advanced notice for a special reservation.
- Wheelchair-accessible vans are not available for rent on Nantucket. However, Wheelchair Getaways rent accessible vans here in Massachusetts. Please click here for information about renting a wheelchair-accessible van.
- Your Island Ride (accessible van Service for passengers who are elderly or disabled provided by Nantucket Regional Transportation Authority, NRTA). This is an advanced reservation (24 hours), door-to-door transportation service available to elders 60 years-of-age or older and for persons with disabilities who are certified and determined eligible to use this service. This wheelchair-accessible van service operates year-round from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The NRTA also operates a PARA Transit service for ADA PARA Transit eligible, disabled individuals. The NRTA is required to operate this service during the same hours that they operate their fixed-route shuttle service, which is seven-days-a-week from 7 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. from late May to early October depending on the route. This service is for disabled individuals who cannot use the regular shuttle service because of their disability or cannot get to and from the shuttle stops because of their disability. The NRTA requires a 24-hour notice for this service. Since the NRTA’s office is closed on weekends, please contact their office from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Thursday for any weekend transportation service and by Friday for service on Monday.
- Shuttle Information (Recording) 508-228-7025
- Business 508-325-9571
- PARA Transit Service 508-325-7516. Follow this link for additional information.
There are two wheelchair-accessible taxi companies on Nantucket: R&R Taxi and Nan’s Taxi. All taxi companies operate seven-days-a-week and on-demand eighteen-hours-a-day. Reservations are accepted but are not necessary.
- R&R Taxi 508-221-3755
- Nan’s Taxi 508-221-3755
There are many tour companies that provide tours of the island. However, there is only one tour company, Nantucket Island Tours, which has a wheelchair accessible bus. You must reserve Nantucket Island Tours at least twenty-four hours in advance. They have many touring buses but only one wheelchair accessible bus, which they will have available for your tour only if you call several days in advance.
Nantucket Island Tours: http://www.nantucketbustours.com/, 508-228-0334