"Beat the Peak!" : Nantucket's Energy Initiatives
The Town of Nantucket Energy Office is committed to pursuing, encouraging, and incentivizing energy efficiency, renewable energy, and other innovative energy solutions to decrease summer peak load and defer the need for a costly 3rd undersea transmission cable to Nantucket, which will be disruptive to the island economy, precious land, and sea life.
As part of the “Beat the Peak!” initiative, these targeted projects and programs are designed to reduce peak energy use during late afternoons and evenings (5-9 pm) during the busy, summer season, as a more sustainable, locally appropriate, and cost-effective alternative to installing a third undersea cable, expected to cost between $100-175 million to local ratepayers.
- Receive a no-cost, Mass Save Home Energy Assessment (value $175)
- Call to schedule appointment: 1-844-615-8316
- Learn about special, Nantucket-exclusive incentives offered by National Grid, such as:
- Free dehumidifier replacements (value $200)
- Free electric heatpump water heater (value $4000+)
- Wifi thermostat
- Unlimited, dimmable LED replacements
- Local SOLAR Rebate Program: $2,500 rebate for eligible, residential Solar PV Systems
- Interactive Solar Map: See where solar is installed on Nantucket and learn about local case studies
- Offshore Wind Energy (PDF): Partnering with Vineyard Power to investigating the feasibility of a direct powerfeed to Nantucket and other community benefits
- HeatSmart Nantucket: Promoting the transition to solar hot water systems
- Nantucket Ice Energy Project: Receive a free Ice Energy “Smart Air-Conditioner” as part of a $1.5 million Massachusetts Dept of Energy Resources (MA DOER) grant!
- "Ice Energy, Genbright to deploy 1MW of ice energy storage in Nantucket." Energy Storage News.
- Support for Tesla application for a Nantucket Energy Storage Aggregation project through the MassCEC "Advancing Commonwealth Energy Storage" (ACES) Program
- Support for 48MWh Tesla Battery at National Grid's Bunker Road Substation (PDF)